Feb 16, 2009

Review - Vaseline Products

According to phone customer service reps in 2009, Vaseline products do not contain gluten, except for the Total Moisture Lotion (yellow bottle) which contains oats. I was told gluten would be clearly listed on the label as wheat, rye, barley, or oat if a product contains it.
 
Update 2017 - Vaseline Intensive Care Healing Serum contains gluten according to a customer service rep. The Cetearyl Glucoside is derived from gluten and was not listed on the label as containing gluten. Call customer service to check if a product is gluten-free.
 
I just realized that I have seven different Vaseline products in my home and most of them are used regularly. Preparing food or eating would be problematic if a hand lotion contains gluten. Unless you have dermatitis herpetiformis, skincare products do not have to be gluten free, except when they come in contact with your mouth. For more information, see Nancy Lapid's posting, "Can Gluten Be Absorbed Through Skin".

Vaseline Intensive Rescue Moisture Locking Lotion – It is hypoallergenic and unfragranced. This is my lotion of choice for kitchen activities since it is light, not greasy, absorbs quickly, and has no scent. This is the only body lotion my daughter will use. She has tried many other brands of body lotions. Her complaints about the others were always one of the following: greasy, sticky, doesn’t absorb quickly, or it smells. I keep a pump in the kitchen and one in my daughter's room.

Vaseline Intensive Rescue Healing Hand Cream – This is my favorite hand cream. I have tried many brands of hand creams and lotions and this one seems to work the best. It is also hypoallergenic and unfragranced. It is thinner than most hand creams and absorbs quickly. It is what is on my hands now as I am typing this.

Vaseline Aloe Fresh Hydrating – This is my favorite body lotion. It feels wonderful when applied. The aloe and cucumber are very soothing. It does take a little longer to absorb.

Vaseline Clinical Therapy – This lotion is intended for the body. I tried it only on my hands. It is more moisturizing than the Intensive Rescue Moisture Locking lotion, but I like the hand cream better.

Vaseline Deep Moisture Creamy – This lotion is a petroleum jelly cream. It also has Vitamin E. It is greasy – too greasy to use during the day. I sometimes use it on my hands before bed.

Vaseline Pure Petroleum Jelly – This is a household staple for any skin irritation.

Vaseline Lip Therapy – When my daughter was in preschool, she referred to this as “the shiny stuff” and loved how shiny it made her lips. The only negative is that it does not contain SPF.

4 comments:

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" said...

Great post!! My grandmother has coated her face with Vaseline every night for decades and her skin (at age 83!) looks pretty darn good :) Kudos to Vaseline for clear labeling!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the useful info! I am going to pick up some Vaseline Intensive Rescue Moisture Locking Lotion next time I am at Wal-Mart or Target and set it by my sink. I like the Curel I use, but it is a little greasy.

Anonymous said...

omg... i have been using the vaseline intense care total moisture.. i have been reacting and i could not figure it out!!! aaahhh i want to yellllll.. thank you for this review, i want to take a shower right now since i used it this morning!!!!! this toooo shall pass....

Alana Mitchell - skincare tips said...

Hey marylandceliac!!! these vaseline reviews are great and i got to know about some vaselines about which i do not know earlier and also come to know about some skincare tips using vaseline as well.