Sep 13, 2010

Ibuprofen: Cheap, Generic, and Gluten-Free

Look what I found today! The regular price is only $1.77 for 50 tablets, and it is now labeled gluten-free!





After making this discovery at Target, I quickly checked other up & up (Target brand) over-the-counter products for gluten-free labels. While I couldn’t find any other products for adults labeled gluten-free, not even the up & up ibuprofen soft gels, I did find children’s oral suspensions in both ibuprofen and acetaminophen that were clearly labeled gluten-free in large letters on the side that match the colors on the packaging.

Keep checking over-the-counter generic drugs for gluten-free labels. Soon more will be labeled gluten-free, thanks to Perrigo. I am so happy that I never again need to pay substantially more to buy Advil! This is a great discovery to make today on National Celiac Awareness Day.

7 comments:

Me said...

Thank you for the comment on my blog and for your amazing blog. Being new with all of this, your blog has been a wonderful source of information for me!

Unknown said...

I noticed this when I bought the ibuprofen at Target last week. Thanks to them for starting to label their Up&Up products!

Amy Ratner, Associate Editor, Gluten-Free Living said...

When Gluten-Free Living ran "Should I Worry About Gluten in Drugs?" in our second issue of 2010, Perrigo said Walgreens, Target, Kroger, Topco and Sam's were beginning to phase in the gluten-free label on over-the-counter store brand drugs. Now it's starting to happen. But just because you don't see the gluten-free label on a particular product does not mean it is not gluten free. It just means the company might not have begun using the label on that particular product yet. While an occasional otc drug might contain gluten, most do not.

Heather @CeliacFamily said...

Thanks for the info. I get so excited when I see "Gluten Free" on labels, especially on products that aren't specialty GF items.

Unknown said...

so nice to see 'gluten free' labeled on medications. i'm ok reading food labels but when it comes to cosmetics and medicines my head spins.

RedFreckles said...

I saw that too! I did a jump for joy! Corporate America loves us!

John Robinson said...

I was diagnosed with celiac in Sept. 2012. My routine blood tests continued to show some mild levels of gluten exposure and I was still not feeling so hot. I went on a serious elimination diet to see if I missed any gluten exposure in my diet. After I stopped taking Kroger brand generic Ibuprofen I felt 90% better after about 4 days. Was it the Ibu itself or was there gluten in the tablets? My next blood test should help solve the mystery. So nice to have my life back and feel so much better!