Here are some links to science fair projects about gluten free products and Celiac Disease. One of the best things about doing a gluten free project is the opportunity to inform others about Celiac Disease when they read the display board. Please post your ideas below.
1. Gluten Free "Play-Doh" - The Gluten Free Mama has several recipes on her site that you can use for this experiment. I have some additional links at the bottom of my blog. Once you have made several kinds of gluten free dough from different ingredients, I imagine you could devise tests to compare:
- how quickly they dry out
- how closely the appearance resembles Play-doh
- texture and usability - have classmates rate each one after playing with them
2. Make a model of a cross section of the small intestines using a dryer hose and demonstrate how food travels through the intestines.
3. Compare gluten free breads. I enjoyed reading about this experiment done by 14 year old Bethany called "Tasty Glutenfree Bread".
4. Sprouting Grains - Observe how different grains grow.
My daughter, who is in first grade, just completed her first science fair experiment. Her experiment was called "Which Paper Towel Absorbs the Most Water". Maybe another year we will try a gluten free experiment.