Aug 22, 2010

Gluten-Free Bisquick: Reviews and Tips

The new gluten-free Bisquick is showing up in stores and several bloggers have posted reviews. Surprisingly, the box is very small and only contains 16 ounces.

According to some reviews, making pancakes following the recipe on the box does not yield good pancakes. Read this review from Jennifer Harris, the Gwinnett Gluten-Free Food Examiner, who prefers Pamela’s Pancake and Baking Mix.

Heidi Kelly posted wonderful recipe tips for gluten-free Bisquick on her blog, Adventures of a Gluten-Free Mom. She discovered that the secret is not to use the recipe on the box. Kim Bouldin, Gluten-Free is Life, enjoyed blueberry scones she made with gluten-free Bisquick.  For tips on making pancakes, waffles, and biscuits, read these FAQs from Bisquick.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised that people are not happy with the pancakes. I made them only once so far, but I think came out really, really good. Because of my 2 year old's celiac diagnosis, we have all been gluten free at home. So my husband and I are "gluten eaters" and both thought that the pancakes tasted like the "normal" ones. In fact, he can't stop talking about them and hinting that I need to make them again.

Anonymous said...

Gluten Free Bisquick is awesome! I made pancakes and they tasted great! I am very thankful for the new gluten free bisquick mix! Keep on making gluten free food items and i will stand in line to buy them! I just wish the box was bigger! but im not complaining! I am VERY thankful for the gluten free bisquick!!!! :0) yay!

Bad Alice said...

I just made biscuits with this. My 11 year old took one bite and stomped away crying, "Why can't we eat real food!" When I first looked at the ingredients I was afraid it would be a disaster: gritty from the rice flour and eggy from all the eggs required to hold it together. I will be trying other mixes to see if I can get a better texture and reserve Bisquick for pancakes.

marylandceliac said...

Alice - Whole Foods Gluten Free Bakehouse makes some good gf frozen biscuits. The cheddar ones are yummy. For baking, try Jules Gluten Free Flour.