Nov 15, 2009

Review: Balance Pure Chocolate Cashew



I tried many energy bars sold at Whole Foods (LARABAR, Thinkthin, Kind, and PranaBar) and Balance Pure chocolate cashew is by far my favorite. Recently, I finally found one flavor of Larabar that I like, the new peanut butter and jelly, but it is higher in fat and calories and only six grams of protein. The Balance Pure price is good at only 99 cents each.

Only Balance Pure bars are gluten-free, not the other Balance bars. They are available in three flavors: cherry pecan, chocolate cashew, and berry chia. The website lists banana cashew, but that flavor is not in stores, not sold on the Balance website, and Whole Foods was unable to order it, despite having that flavor on their list. Perhaps, it is a new flavor? I certainly hope so because it sounds wonderful. I did try to contact Balance about it, but even the customer service representative did not know if the banana was new or old.

The chocolate cashew has 170 calories, six grams of fat, nine grams of protein, four grams of fiber, and only eight ingredients. Compared to the high protein bars that I like, PureFit and ANDI, these are not as wide and not as filling. They are probably about the width of an Enjoy Life bar, but much longer and denser. For a quick snack on the go or at home with a very chocolate taste and some cashew crunch, Balance Pure is a great choice!

2 comments:

Allison the Meep said...

Thanks for reviewing this product! I didn't even realize it was gluten-free. I've been spending absurd amounts of money on Larabars to have handy when I'm out and unable to get to a real meal, and it's nice to have other options...especially cheaper options!

Stephen said...

definitely going to have to check these out again. I'm hooked on ThinkThins, I'll give these another try :) great post