Nov 21, 2009

100th Post: Top 10 Gluten-Free Products, News, and Events in 2009

My 100th post is the perfect time to reflect on the last year. I started this blog in December 2008, which seems like a lifetime ago with all the gluten-free advances this year. In addition to my blog, I started writing as the DC Gluten Free Examiner in March 2009, which now has 87 articles. At the time there were only three gluten-free Examiners, and now there are gluten-free Examiners in many cities and even Canada.

What were the hottest gluten-free products, news, and events in 2009? Here is my Top 10 list.

1. Betty Crocker gluten-free mixes
2. Research news from the Mayo Clinic, Dr. Fasano, and the University of Chicago
3. Gluten-free pizza crusts at many restaurants
4. General Mills Chex – five new varieties
5. Gluten-free concession stands
6. More media coverage of celiac disease, including morning news shows, newspapers, magazines, Oprah.com article, ABC articles, WebMD, and NPR
7. Primetime TV shows: celiac disease on the Celebrity Apprentice and Last Restaurant Standing, gluten-free episode of Top Chef, and Soy-Yer Dough on Shark Tank
8. Dramatic growth in gluten-free blogs, websites, and social networking
9. Publicity surrounding Elisabeth Hasselbeck’s book
10. Babycakes cookbook and viral videos

For many who cook gluten-free, the new gluten-free cornmeal, corn flour, and corn grits from Bob's Red Mill was very exciting. For those who eat gluten-free, dairy-free, and soy-free, Earth Balance's new soy-free buttery spread was life changing. For me the biggest change in the last year that has meant the most in my daily life is Giant carrying Kinnikinnnick products. It still brings a smile to my face each time I buy bread, bagels, buns, or donuts at my local grocery store!

1 comment:

Jennifer Gluten Free in Georgia said...

I would add to the list:

1 Udi's GF Bread and Muffins revolutionize the way bread should be made going forward

2 Walmart carrying gluten-free products

3 Increase in local restaurant offering gluten-free menus

4 More gluten-free products being imported from Europe and Canada and made available in US

5 The gluten-free market explosion in the US