May 24, 2009

My Favorite Gluten Free Teriyaki Sauce: Seal Sama

I have tried three brands of gluten free Teriyaki sauce. I recently bought at Whole Foods the new San-J Teriyaki sauce, one of five new certified gluten free sauces. When I first started eating gluten free, the only Teriyaki sauce I could find was Premier Japan, and I wasn’t impressed with it.

About one year ago, I heard that the Drink More Water store near where I lived carried gluten free products. I was amazed to see that the owner decided to carry an extensive selection of gluten free foods and I discovered Seal Sama Teriyaki sauce. This sauce was great, flavorful, and the clearly the best gluten free Teriyaki sauce. Unfortunately, when I went back to buy more, I learned the store discontinued their gluten free products. The sauce is not carried in any other stores in my area.

When I tried the San-J Teriyaki sauce last night, I hoped it would be similar to Seal Sama. It was not and made me want Seal Sama even more. I think I may need to finally order it. If you are lucky enough to find the unique and memorable gluten free Seal Sama Teriyaki sauce in a store, be sure to buy it and let me know what you think of it!

Caution: Check the label to ensure you have the gluten free Seal Sama as they make three other Teriyaki sauces that contain gluten.

Ingredients: Water, soy sauce (water, soybeans, salt, alcohol (to preserve freshness)), sugar, pineapple juice, corn starch, rice vinegar (water, rice), garlic. Contains soy and corn.

Nutrition Facts: serving size 1 Tbsp, 20 calories, 230 mg sodium, and 3 grams sugar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post is very helpful. I'm just beginning to remove gluten from my diet - finding that replacing things like soy sauce had teriyaki sauce have been a bigger challenge than other things. Miss my favorite restaurants.

Anonymous said...

The ingredients are simple, why don't you make your own and then it will be exactly as you want it and you will save over buying it.